View Single Post
Old 3rd June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 5f4684d View Post
Honestly, the u87ai is bashed so much on here and for no reason. I posted some clips of it through the Redd pre and I feel like it sounds better than when I use my c800g with the Redd, on my voice. c800g is good but it needs a Neve pre I find. I do like the u87ai into the LA-610, used it like that many times, I also like the Shure ksm32 into the 6176, very underrated mic.
Hi HelloHead...

Yes, I was prepared to be underwhelmed by the U87ai (based on many of the forum comments I’ve read), and if you didn’t EQ it whatsoever to suit your ear, or perhaps don’t pair it with the right mic pre, then yes, it is a neutral mic (and could sound “non-standout” to some), but this thing can sound really extraordinary, as long as you have the ability to change EQ settings and have it in a complementary signal chain.

I would rather have a neutral mic that can sound amazing on any source (with some fine-tuning of settings) than a bold colored mic that is less able to be shaped for a wide range of sources.

Anyway, there are a lot of great mics there, and the U87 is an industry standard for a reason.