View Single Post
Old 2nd June 2020
Deleted 5f4684d
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
You make some good points but you are clearly missing one thing from denstrow's posts:

No he doesn't and has stated that very clearly. Your advise pertains to people that indeed want to have commercial success with their music. That isn't what denstrow is looking for according to his own words.

That said, you are right about the music side: It has to be good enough or it won't appeal. It has to be good enough both musically and production/mix wise or it won't take off. This applies both to commercial music and non-commercial music.

I agree with your comments about pop music. It see it like surfing. You have to see the wave coming and be ready to jump on your plank to catch it. (Understanding and feeling the Zeitgeist). You have to be on the crest of the wave. If you are too late, if you are behind the crest, you are out of the race. If you drop of your plank, you are out of the race. Etc.

It is the artists that can catch that crest, either by luck or intent, and remain on that crest, that have long term success.

What is your artist name? I'm curious to hear your work.

Thanks,

Alistair
Having a career in music really is like surfing, you gotta ride that wave when you're hot. I do well but my time for superstardom has passed, I'm 33, been around for 6 years now and I'm already old news (maybe not to my fans, but I'm trying to be realistic). I do think I can be in the forefront in some way because of the skills that I have musically, my knowledge of what's currently going on and my willingness to adapt. I'm heading in a RNB/ Rap direction, I love many styles of music, from Rap to country to classical, and I embrace changes in the music industry.

I think what the OP is looking for can happen, I dont really know how to make that happen for him, as I have a go big or go home mentality when it comes to a music career.

Could he have about 200/300 people following his music journey? Maybe. I just feel that if you can build loyalty with 200 people, these people will talk to others if they enjoy the music, and will recommend to others, then the 200 will become 300, then 400 etc. People love being the first to discover artists, and they like blabbing about it to the people they know.

If you can build a loyal fanbase of 200 people, I believe that your music is worth listening to.

Maybe I'm near sighted, but I can't see him build fan loyalty off of music that sonically and visually is a bit amateurish production wise, photoshop wise.

I dont think people will want to stick around, therefore, a rebranding and a new sonic palette is needed to gain listeners. I gave him the advice to maybe emulate what Com Truise has been doing (music wise, visually etc), I think it's a good direction for the OP.

There's a reason why people (young kids) cling to certain things (cultural aspects). You don't build loyalty by trying to convince 30 or 40 something to listen to your music, these people already have their own music taste, they've lived their 20s, figured out what they liked and stick to that. Psy was big with kids, not people his own age.

Btw I appreciate that we can all be adults about this discussion. I know I can be a bit brash but I'm trying to be realistic, factual, and just talk about what ive experienced in 6 years. I came in and knew nothing, and I was not ready for it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
That's quite a good point actually. To attract listeners, you can either be the best/most appealing at a given style (which will probably involve being pretty brutal with your artistic integrity), or go your own way for your own artistic reasons and sink or swim on the results.

Being quite good at a style that others are significantly better at isn't going to attract many people.

(Flume is pretty awesome at what he does too - funnily enough he lives a few streets away when he's in Aus!).

She's definitely got plenty of time though - very new breakthrough there!

He's also a very strong album artist - the album is as successful as the singles (and a great poster boy for looks not being everything...!)

Hmm, whilst Meghan Trainor might not have been as omnipresent as she was with "All About That Bass" she's had a few biggish follow ups - at least over here. She was on the Trolls soundtrack wasn't she?

Will be interesting to see how Tones and I, and others fair after a mega-smash. Whilst it's obviously amazing to have that level of success, it can be an albatross (I worked a lot with Kaz James, half of Bodyrockers who had a massive smash with "I Like the Way You Move"...he reworked stuff to death trying to make a follow up).
Yeah man, I'm sure you've seen it firsthand, you gotta be friggin good, and greatness requires a lot of skills, talent, luck, looks etc. If any of you has been around a successful artist or producer, you see them work and they have vision, they have appeal, they go where amateurs reach pitfalls, and they work hard, long hours to get their vision to where they want it. That star power, that appeal, I cant teach that.

It's like watching professional athletes, they make it look so easy, they've spent years failing and failing, having setbacks, injuries etc etc, and they just play the sport 100x better than any amateur, because they put in the time to be good, and even then, people put the time and still arent good, miss their chances, so there's a lot of factors in play.

Most artists make a hit, and they dont really understand what they did well, the timing of it, the appeal, but the fans are aggressively listening and following them (and put pressure on the artist to follow up with something just as good). I think that's when you gotta understand what you're doing right, or surround yourself with other people who are great writers or great producers (usually your publisher or label will set that up).

And even then, you see people try and recreate that spark and it still doesnt work! This is why when you see Ed Sheeran or Post Malone release successful after successful songs, well, they understand what they're doing right, they stick in their pockets, and hit their stride (Nickelback was notorious for copying themselves, but again they knew what the fans wanted).