thread: Future of Music
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2020
Here for the gear

Future of Music

Hello everyone,

I'm songwriter, I sing and play guitar yet I define myself more as a lyricist, poet, melody generator and arranger. Lately I'm more dedicated to learning more about music production and so with his first post on the first day of my registration here, I'd like to ask you some questions and wonder about your opinions.. Here we go:

1- There are just too many sounds, VSTs, plug-ins etc to explore, choose from, too many things to try out, make decisions to make a song better, perfect. I mean for a perfectionist there is no end to improving and finalizing a song. How can we stop and say this song is finished and if it is impossible to try out everything about sounds to try out in a lifetime then what could be a good rule of thumb to balance exploration vs exploitation of what's already known, learned and what we have on hand? I'd like to improve my mixing techniques and open up myself to new possibilities of sounds, genres and methods to create my new songs, so what steps are useful to take to begin with? What are some most popular instruments, VSTs, sound libraries you recommend every rock/pop musician check into? (with an open mind about adding elements from other genres such as electronic)

2- Why do people use sound libraries? Like Splice, Loopcloud. To create loops? How can one best make use of these services? There are great VSTs like Exdrummer, Ezkeys with great sounds, why do people still look for their own sounds and how do they use those sounds differently than existing libraries of VSTs?

3- What are your opinions on online DAWs like Soundtrap, Bandlab? Which ones do you use and like the most and why? How can a musician make use of such available services to positively impact their song production?

4- What are your opinions on affordable or free DAWs like sound bridge and waveform pro? How would you compare them to Studio One which I quite enjoy..

5- I have no music theory and I want to improve myself in recording/mixing/mastering. Are there compact free or paid online courses like on coursera, udemy or youtube free or premium that you advise every songwriter/ musician better complete with full absorption to get all the fundamentals about recording/mixing/songwiting/basic note/chord progression/harmony essentials/ Major mand Minor scales, Circle of Fifths, and basic Chord Theory etc.. Do you think having knowledge od basic or advance music theory helps better songwriting/arrangement or impedes? How can it help or impede?

6- Do you think next level (or already current) trend is for a musician to play or using vsts and record all instruments and create a song from scratch, record/mix/master all by oneself, and publish steaming ready quality albums and disintermediate all the other people. If yes how can I quickly adapt to this trend and get to produce steam ready quality albums as soon as possible?

7- What do you think future music will sound like? Like daft punk changed things and what is the next daft punk sound? Do you think country and rock will die out? Nowadays I like to use more synths and maybe even electronics to bring my 60s-90s sounding pop/rock sound to 2020s and preferably more future proof 2030s level. To that end, what would you advise? What VSTs, tutorials, sound libraries, plug-ins you'd recommend me to check out that you think are the most popular now or will be or even if not are the best or most popular out there on the market bot aspiring musicians who want to produce extraordinary work should definitely check out?

8- I feel like today music became a commodity, it's hardwork and long time investment to create an original song and it's so easy to consume it for listener like a single use entertainment as there are endless choices and I feel like today we live in the age that nothing is so special anymore. Internet and consumption have replaced "God" and morality and humane pace of producing cooking sth at a low heat you know? slow but steady, joyful production. It feels like music cant be a single career and source of income for one anymore with all the competition and ease of home production. So for me I came to the conclusion that music production is to be done analogous to keeping journaling ow ones private feelings and thoughts as self reflection function. Okay maybe it's always been like this and because some journals were really interesting read, people wanted to "listen" to them so they got a career and this cycle maybe still remains. But Im just not sure if things got easier with internet and home daws or much harder? I feel like people care so much less than the past today in general, music is not much for connection or relation anymore but entertainment. I mean for me music is about being curious about existence, exploring deep insights, interacting with other inspiring feelings, thoughts, perspectives etc.. Either such people switched to producing entertainment music to keep up with society's direction and not feel isolated or they kind of gave up producing thinking that people would probably not care or give due attention to listen to serious pieces.. Like is it still possible to create masterpieces like Radiohead, Muse, Keane did or those days are gone for good? Now how can I reconcile those great bands with the modernity of new age music without making concessions and compromises in quality, soul and emotions? Is there still room in music for soul and emotions in rock? Or is it dying.. This is also a moral question you know. Should one give in to degeneration and moral decadence? Correct my perspective if it's too narrow when it equalize future and modern with moral decline etc.. please provide me with examples like how can past great music be better today and in the future and still have same sincere deep soul and emotions if not more and stronger? What is the direction of music in the near and far future? What can musicians do to adapt to future direction and still preserving vintage, timeless values of music, life and being human?

Thank you
Show replies