View Single Post
Old 24th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
Suggestion: You want to play the shows, make music so you can perform live? Make music they're interested in.

I just think you need to come to a compromise type situation. You can't do it your way and then cry when things aren't happening when you do it your way. If you want people to be interested then maybe give them a bit of what they want.

I just feel like there's a lot of whining and not a whole lot of, "ok I will do things differently and see what happens". Since the thread started, I managed to finish 3 songs. What have you done since this thread started? Have you taken any of our advice? I'm basically doing the dad talk right now, I do the same to my kids lol. I tell them, don't whine if you havent tried the alternative that we've suggested.

Correction, the thread is 4 weeks old! Jesus I've worked on about 7 songs this month, and I have 2 kids and a wife mind you, so what's your excuse? I'm starting to get a little pissed off about this thread.

Stop thinking about doing shows, focus on making music that will get some kind of audience. I havent played a show in 2 and a half years btw, and my career has grown during this time, because people keep streaming my songs big time. Focus on your online fanbase and then start thinking shows, no one wants to discover acts live, unless they're fans.

If you cant or dont want to listen to my advice or other people's advice on here, then good luck. I dont feel sorry for whiners who don't change their approach.
Relax; there is a reason I posted this in the Moan Zone! You seem to only be able to measure success by commerciality - that's not the case for everybody. Some people are just looking for their niche, and would be happy just being there.

This isn't a pissing contest either. But since you asked, in the past month I've done 4 remixes/mixes in different genres for competitions, a psytrance quarantine live set and a dj set for radio, released an ep of electronic covers, made 4 tracks in a new genre I'm working on (which I think is kind of a new subgenre of Industrial - haven't heard anything like it, really, can't say for sure), I'm working on an album with my brother in a new genre/new territory for me (Greek type of music) and learning about streaming and vlogging as well, all while working 8 hours a day - so I've been busy too.

I've also tried to do a bit more commercial stuff in the past couple of years (a tech house ep which was originally for a ghost-writing gig), remixes of known artists in psytrance style, dabbled a bit with a slightly more commercial psytrance sound etc. It's not like I'm not interested in finding an audience, but I think having a somewhat unique voice is also important - what's the point of sounding just like every other artist out there? That's something that puts me off, personally. Just for the buckazoids? Nah, thanks. There has to be a way to do things without feeling like you're selling out. Get better at it? Absolutely. Comprimise here and there? Sure, that's life, but remember not to lose your individual voice just to be liked. That might work for people who only look at this like a job, but not for others.

Anyway, I started this thread in the Moan Zone just to vent. But since it picked up some traction, I like to listen to what people have to say; it's definitely helpful. And anything that seems like a good idea - and I've heard several - I'll try to see how I can implement. It's not that I don't care what you say, I'm just trying to find what can work for me, based on what *I* would like to achieve, not necessarily someone else's idea of success.