View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Interestingly, I usually prefer remastered recordings. And I love playlists and recordings that marry old and new:

Lauren Daigle blew me away with Behold - including White Christmas. It sits along with Bing Crosby and The Drifters and Elvis versions all spaced out across my Christmas playlist. The Elvis Presley Christmas Duets with Martina McBride and Carie Underwood work in there as well. Last year I added Christmas Valentine [Ingrid Michaelson & Jason Mraz]. . .beautiful, bright vocals.

Broad playlists that cross many diverse artists, genera and decades of talent and recordings work extremely well for me. . .magnifying the value of each sound.

One of my favorite playlists contains two versions of My One and Only Love - a vocal by Sinne Eeg [Remembering You, 2009] that leads into an instrumental by Oscar Peterson [We Get Requests, 1964]. The two versions are amazingly effectively sitting next to each other. . .especially as the next tune up is Renee Olstead with A Love That Will Last and Aretha Franklin with Until You Come Back To Me. . .then Halle Loren with La Vie En Rose. . .and Trijntje Oosterhuis singing Trust in Me. . .etc. That playlist contains many diverse romantic/danceable recordings from across the better part of a century - favorite arrangements of favorite tunes from numerous genra and eras that somehow work together. Bria Skonberg makes Almost Like Being in Love dance on voice and trumpet right after Frank Sinatra swings through I’ve Got You Under My Skin. . .and we’ve barely scratched the surface.

Variety is the spice of life,

Ray H.

EDIT: Lots of 'recent' recordings that I absolutely love on that playlist. . .There I've said it again.