View Single Post
Old 21st May 2020
Deleted 5f4684d
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedman View Post
I'm glad you're getting paid to masturbate. more power to you.
There are lots of webcam chicks out there getting paid to masturbate as well.
Are they artists?

Please show me the huge hit world renowned record made by one person.
Written, arranged, performed, produced, engineered, tracked, overdubbed, edited, mixed, mastered, art laid out...etc etc....show me the record with one name and one name only in the credits.

The original question was "is promoting music on social media a waste of time?" I say yes, if you're sitting alone in a room making one man music...we just really dont need anymore of that crap.....and when the fk would you have time, anyway?...totally on topic.

Your music is selling (somewhere, according to you...I'll accept this as fact even though the source is dubious.) Therefore it must be similar to other music that is selling, as if it were too far outside that norm it would not be selling. The music that is selling has been consistently ****e over the last decade. It is therefore easily deduced that your music conforms to current norms...QED

And what kind of deluded narcissist honestly believes that something they banged out all by themselves in a dillitante way is superior to what it would be were it produced by a group of individuals with specialized skills in specific areas, each focused on one or two aspects of the project?

Easier does not equal better
You're asking who has been a 1 man band, well almost all of my work has been me, from start to finish, writing, recording, singing, mixing, mastering. Out of 450 mil streams, 300 mil has been me on my own. Is it rare? Ya most definitely. But I'm doing it right now, and a song coming out tomorrow, again I made it from start to finish.

Put that narcissist label on me, that's ok. If I can release high quality songs and do it on my own, and the fans are loving it, no harm no foul. I tried sending a new song to someone to get my vocals edited, and I had to go and do it in the end, because people don't always have the vision of the artist.

I dont do that because I want all the revenue or anything. I realized as soon as I Ieft the bands I was in, that when you arent bogged down by many people (analysis paralysis) when doing creative work, you can do music more clearly, faster, and more defined. I've fought with my label so much on what I wanted to release, and everytime I pushed to release a song and it did well, I've proved them wrong again and again (I'm forcing on the label the song being released tomorrow, the song was finished 4 years ago, and it'll do well, I know the market well. I make all my artwork btw.

I know my project more than anyone else would, and I know how it should sound and where it's headed. My contract expires soon, I'll get paid the remaining advance money and be free, and release a song a week after that. I couldnt do that with a team of 6 people creating, unless you're really in tune with each other.

Frequency of releases, remixes of those releases, and quality of the releases themselves is why people will want to come back and relisten, not because a label is pushing it or because it has a ton of PR money. People can see through that, they want the thrill of the discovery. I get respect in the industry because people know that what I release won't suck. It took me 6 years to foster those relationships, with youtube channels, Spotify, Apple Music, Sirius Xm as well as more popular artists than me. What I'm saying is, I can't teach people how to make good songs, or what works now etc.

If you have vision and you're honest about your intentions, people will gravitate to that, and other artists will want to make music with you and get featured, or want a remix from you if you do dance music or Rap. I think it's hard to teach people to have vision with their work, their music or their lives, that's why you get 10 people steering the ship a lot of times. My time to breakout as a huge act has passed, I'm in my early 30s and I have a family etc, I have responsibilities basically. That being said, I'm very very determined as an artist and I'll keep on releasing music that I feel is relevant not 2 years ago, but right now.

Something that's also important to understand is that I went to College for a long time in my 20s, I have a Masters degree, and everything I learned in school, I applied it to my music career.

The studying of music out there, learning how to make good productions, looking at tutorials, subscribing to the Masterclass, reading books on songwriting, studying what's hitting now etc. I get that most people dont have that research aspect when it comes to music, but it works for me and that's why I have success.

You start emulating music you listen to, you fail, and that's where your music journey takes off. Music making to me is a bunch of failed experiments, happy mistakes. Failure is part of the journey, and then you find a few ideas that hit a chord in yourself, and you just know that others will feel that same feeling, because it's the human aspect within the music.

If you want to talk stats (I dont focus on that, but I'm aware), 1 mil streams on Spotify amounts to roughly 3500 usd per 1 mil streams, Apple music is more. If you can release 20 tracks a year with a mil streams each, that's 70k right there off of just 1 platform. Some might perform less but others might get 5-6-7 mil, and if you release more than that, you can make even more. Then you got soundexchange, ascap/bmi, remix money, show money, merch money, advance money if you make deals, licensing, insta promotions if you swing that way. If you have your ducks in a row, you can hit 300k a year, and if you're outperforming, you can get 600k, 700k for the year, you incorporate, pay less tax that way, put yourself on payroll and pay yourself to pay for your basic needs, so it's easy to keep a lot of it, that's how the rich get richer. My publisher pays for any trip I do. So yeah it's important to know the numbers too. Any new release will boost numbers on the former songs if you release consistantly. You also build a fanbase that way, all this is the youtuber way btw, you release something cool once a day and people build a relationship with the fans, and you're cashing in as a result. releasing consistent quality material is where people usually fail at.

Last edited by Deleted 5f4684d; 21st May 2020 at 04:11 PM..