View Single Post
Old 13th May 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Thick glue and holes in the thin set as part of a design principle?? Is this in leiu of porous absorbants or in addition to?

You guys must lose your sh!t when somone brings in a coke bottle
Hahaha, yes we do. We doooo...

Nah, not really part of the design principles. Glue the floor, move on. The psychological aspects with certain people is an important factor though, and I respect and understand that. But a lot more often than not, it is far detached from the reality of what's actually going on.

Some very famous old studios refuse to change wore out floorings or get rid of leaded paint on walls (!) from fear of changing the sound of the room. Which is totally irrelevant. It is like Bert said, the same issues as the cables, HDD influencing the audio quality etc conversation.

But to try and work within such situations, you have to try and explain what is relevant and what isn't within the framework of a more scientific approach.

All other things being equal, the differences in the way a floor is glued is statistically not measurable, i.e the very very small differences (if any) cannot be identified as coming from that particular variable - as in they may occur due to a small difference (in mm) in the location of the mic, temperature, humidity, location of source. In short, it's as relevant to the room's response as your Astral sign.

In some reverb chambers, some type of paint has been known to marginally influence the RT response past 16kHz due to tiny air bubbles. Which is completely irrelevant in a studio, especially in larger LR that naturally low pass a lot earlier than that from distance alone.

Moving the snare, OH mic or room mic 5cm / 2" will have a real effect that is many orders of magnitude more noticeable than that.

Imagine adding a few amplifiers, people, gobos. That drastically changes the room's response as all these absorb sound within particular bandwidths.

I had a case of a series of tests labs we did for a large multinational. One of these rooms was an ITU room. We had completed it dead center within the norm, including decay time. A few months later I get a call from a slightly upset R&D engineer telling me the decay time is way too low and under standard and I need to come right away change that.

I travel to site and realize as I come in the room that it is filled with equipment, workstations, prototypes etc.

We empty the room of all unnecessary and unused equipment stored in there, measure with the R&D team and it's exactly within standards again.

Priorities.