View Single Post
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannis View Post
an admirable aim that appears to be going sideways already. Maybe it's worth elaborating scientifically on what you mean by non-linear?

In strict mathematical terms, no, IRs are not linear - but then not much is - only straight lines!

I'm pretty sure you don't mean that, but I'm not sure exactly what you do mean.

btw, computerised models (and I don't mean IRs specifically, which are relatively simple beasts in the modelling world) have no problem with non-linear modelling per-se, so again, if you can define what you mean better, we may get somewhere.

fwiw, whilst I do use a Helix and IRs, I always supplement it with a tube preamp which adds some - er non-linearity(*) that disguises the digital nature of the distortion.

What I mean by that, is that I hear digital distortion as too uniform - it's like it's been quantized at a very short tempo. The tube breaks up the pattern enough to my ears to sound a whole heap better.

Clearly I am not talking about speakers, so my analogy is not perfect to what you are trying to discuss, but I thought it might illustrate my point about needing to be more precise with the term non-linear.
The speaker will recreate the pre-amp gain reasonably uniformly - it does not present much of a load. The interaction and dynamics between the PA, transformer and speaker will be non-linear - it does not increase or decrease in a linear fashion, but compresses, produces its own overtones and affects dynamic response. Therein is the non-linearity