View Single Post
Old 10th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthbrass View Post
In that case, does anyone know of a good video tutorial series, walking through the functionalities of a recent version of Pro Tools? Possibly without any bias towards a certain type of needs/workflow (unless it is post production) so that I can learn it as quickly as possible (don't need an hour of explanation on how to record a drumset). Or is working through the manual still the quickest way to go about it?
It will help enormously.
I don't know many people working professionally in post who don't know Pro Tools to some degree.

I moved from Logic to Pro Tools about 10 years ago and it took time.
I'm writing an article at the moment about how to move from one DAW to another actually.
Once it is published I will link it here.

In some ways it is harder to learn a new DAW than it is to learn the first one because you have a sort of inertia with your existing workflow, but If you work at it you can known it over pretty quickly.
My advice is to just use it- don't be tempted to open up Reaper, except to export audio that you import into Pro Tools.
It would be good if you had a completely project in Reaper that you can bounce the raw audio out of and then try to recreate your final project in PT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthbrass View Post
In that case, does anyone know of a good video tutorial series, walking through the functionalities of a recent version of Pro Tools? Possibly without any bias towards a certain type of needs/workflow (unless it is post production) so that I can learn it as quickly as possible (don't need an hour of explanation on how to record a drumset). Or is working through the manual still the quickest way to go about it?
Trawl Youtube for videos that show you the next thing you need to learn.
It will take time but you can learn the basics in a few days.

I'd suggest you start by understanding how Edit modes (Slip/Spot/Grid/Shuffle) work, and how to switch between them with Function keys).
Spot mode will be of particular use to you in post.

Then Tools (Zoom/Trim/Selector/Grabber/Scrubber/Pencil) and how to switch between them using Esc.

Learn what keyboard focus is, so you can learn a bunch of keyboard shortcuts and not have to mouse around so much.

Page 6-7 here will really help you if you can manage to memorise as many as possible.
http://resources.avid.com/SupportFil...uts_2020.3.pdf

From there learning how zoom works, how solo and groups work.
Tracks and Clips lists.
Bussing.

There is quite a lot to learn.