View Single Post
Old 10th May 2020
Lives for gear

Composition and post-production are two very different things. Lots of composers I work with use Logic or Digital Performer. On some projects they're expected to deliver stems, on others, they must deliver PT sessions. Sometimes they use PT as a recorder with Logic as the source. There are no rules, but there can be expectations. Most of the composers I know use PT in a very basic way, and that's fine. I'm not expecting fancy sessions from them.

In post, there are many different jobs with unique skill sets. Dialog editors, SFX editors and mixers all have their own workflows and job-specific expertise.

John Purcell's book "Dialogue Editing for Motion Pictures" is a great place to start learning. The audio education industry is heavily tilted toward music production training, so you can be choosy about what's actually useful in your post-education. The Pro Tools manual is not a good way to learn the app. It is a good resource to answer specific questions about features, but it has no overarching theme, or industry-specific guidance. I recently worked with a SFX editor who was doing some very cool stuff in Reaper. But to complete the film soundtrack that we were making, I had him spot his elements to a simple PT session so I could import his tracks quickly during the final mix.

All that said, the workflows that I'm talking about are what professionals right now are using to do their work. Your generation will discover new ways to do things and will make new standards.