View Single Post
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Why do Cab IR's seem lacking?

While I posted this in another thread, I'm starting a new one that will hopefully be more technical and reasoned. I hate posting useful information in a thread that gets buried by Trollery.

For a lot of guitar sounds in recordings (or live on stage) the non-linearities of a guitar speaker are essential to the final sound. And, because impulse response modeling is a linear process, it can't capture the dynamics of an actual guitar speaker. In fact, everything about most electric guitar timbre is dependent on non-linear, low-fidelity phenomena.

Here is an actual quote by Ian White of Celestion:

"With hi-fi and pro PA speakers, we can develop finite element models and see on a screen what they're going to be doing,” Ian says. "But that's almost impossible with guitar speakers because they're so non-linear. It's difficult enough to predict how a guitar speaker is going to sound when you're feeding it a clean guitar signal, but it's the distorted stuff that really gets the cone modes going. It doesn't need to be that loud to do that — just the complexity of the signal really gets the tone humming."

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniq...uitar-speakers

I'm up for a meaningful discussion....

-tINY