View Single Post
Old 6th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 56021e5 View Post
In fact adding diffusers to a live space with flat reflective walls/ceiling will actually LOWER the RT60, not increase it !
Yes, this was the point I was trying to get across. Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 56021e5 View Post
That is why using typical Sabine equations or other numerical approaches fails to predict RT60 in most spaces, particularly with uneven absorption and the main reason we use CATT as a modelling tool at our office.
Yes, I find it unfortunate that RT is still a metric for evaluating the performance of critical listening rooms in AES/EBU papers (maybe they removed it now, haven’t checked in a few years), when it in reality says pretty much nothing about how a room “sounds” even if the values could be trusted (which they obviously can´t if “small” room). It´s been many years since I last payed any attention to RT values but instead focus on the ETC and waterfall plots (below the modal range).

Even if large recording room, I would still pay more attention to the ETC than RT values since even a large recording room is generally still too small for RT calculations to be applicable.

I actually tried CATT back in the days, but I couldn’t really see the benefits when designing studio sized rooms. Larger concert halls are another story, but I´m staying clear from that kind of work.