View Single Post
Old 26th March 2020 | Show parent
ccg
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolavine View Post
Thanks Ray, I learned something from that.
I asked about listening to the music because it is not a country song, more like a Django sort of thing.
Some people have an aversion to country style tunes, I'm an old folky who took a lot of jazz lessons.

I do a similar thing on the guitar (classical type), play a weird combo then adjust.
I've written whole songs from that beginning, but nothing I think is very good compared to the ones that come from either accident or intention.

I'm glad you are not in the intended audience. An act of domestic violence occures every 9 seconds in America.

When I was a freshman in College my first paper came back covered in red ink. I got some help, it seems I didn't know how to put on an objective, virginal brain when proofreading my writing. Once they showed me how to do that I was able to pass the red ink test (keep in mind this was in the days of the Underwood Upright manual typewriter). I'm trying to learn to do that with my songwriting, and also in my recording work.

Ray, if you want, direct me to some of your stuff, words or songs.
If we can be honest with each other maybe we can both get better.

Thanks again for taking the time.
Some people (not really aiming this at anyone in the thread) get their feathers ruffled when songs are about serious issues. Even more so if you present the story like it was something you did or were directly involved in. If you want to sing the lyric "domestic violence is bad" they might be okay with it. This doesn't make for very compelling storytelling though. Nobody would read a novel, story or poem like that. Nobody would watch a film like that (unless it as a documentary, perhaps.)

There are a lot of people you need to not worry about if you are interested in telling these difficult stories.