thread: EV RE320 - Mods
View Single Post
Old 25th March 2020
Lives for gear

EV RE320 - Mods

Hi guys,

I recently put up this video: https://youtu.be/Pz5aoRrRU5c

Where I took an EV RE320, measured the response, and then worked on a replacement filter to get things more linear in the kHz range.

I'd like to expand a little on what was said in the video. Here goes...

I don't think the RE320 is a good-sounding mic when it's left stock. I listened to a lot of shoot-outs for vocal use among other things, and found the mountainous kHz range to be a consistent problem. After trying/hating it for myself, I had planned on simply selling it on and trying to recoup my investment but I'm glad I did some work and came up with a new filter for it.

The PCB that EV installs has around 20 components on there and while I can sort-of see where they're heading, IMO they missed the mark. The results aren't that great. Maybe they wanted to keep the RE20 as the king.

The software I use is all free. XSim is used for speaker crossovers, but if you get creative, you can use it to simulate the effects of passive filters on dynamic microphones. I use REW to measure stuff, and I have another video on there about how to measure microphones.

If anyone has an RE320 that they don't like, the components needed can be had for around £10, and IMO transform the mic into something much flatter and more usable on a wide range of sources. I've included an audio comparison of modded RE320 vs MC930 on acoustic guitar.

I'd be interested in any feedback on the video. I'm planning on releasing more in the future, so if there are any topics that you'd like to see covered, I'd be happy to give it a go.

Thanks for reading and/or watching!

Chris