View Single Post
Old 11th March 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
There are some details here (don't just watch the video, see the text and example below on this page): https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/mus...imize-polarity

It's handy for drums especially, which are typically recorded using multiple mics, which can introduce phase issues (signals can cancel each other out or you can get comb filtering, etc.). Mixbus's polarity optimization tool analyzes whatever area you select (e.g., a section of multiple drum tracks, each recorded with a different mic) and takes care of optimizing the polarity.

I don't record drums, but I do record live music with stereo pairs of mics where phase issues can creep in, so it has helped me with that. For example last year I recorded a fiddler playing in a living room with piano accompaniment; I used a spot mic on the fiddler and a pair of omni mics in A/B on the piano. I ran the polarity optimizer and it reversed the polarity on the fiddle mic, which helped (there was a lot of bleed from the piano, and a lot of bleed from the fiddle into the piano mics).
Very cool info! Yeah I'll try using that with playing guitar and singing which is always a challenge. Thx so much for the tip and clarification!