View Single Post
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotchicken View Post
In listening to some of the records of yesteryear, some of the grooves I hear sound wayyy too tight to be true.

I read somewhere that tape was manipulated to correct time in performances.

How common of a practice was this in studios before daws?
I'm not really a 'pro' but as far back as the mid 80s I used to sample and quantize via time stretch with a hardware sampler. Before that I used to splice tape with a razor and cut and paste the best performances. DAWs have been around since the later 80s so quantizing has actually been available quite a long time. It is just easier now. Back in the 70s and early 80s we used to varispeed the tape down and have the musician play detuned at the slower tempo. This wasn't quanitizing obviously, but it gave tighter performances when you sped the tape back up. Another thing to consider is time in the studio. Back in the 70s and 80s bands spent months/years in the studio getting the right performances. Band nowadays, thanks to quantizing, can get the right performances in the a couple/few hours. If quantizing was not a available now, pro bands would just spend more time tracking.

Let's be clear, if DAW quantization was a available in the 60s and 70s and early 80s, bands would have used it. They would have used pitch correction too. Musician today are much better technically than musicians even 10 years ago. quantizing is not a crutch it is a tool to save time and money.