View Single Post
Old 27th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscutred View Post
Good work, did you make any recordings on any of those consoles?

At which point they introduce a new "feature" and have a whole new set of bugs to work out.

Except when progress means reducing manufacturing costs, this often impacts quality and makes repair more difficult (and necessary).

I know quite a bit about them and want to spend more time with them, one of my favourite things is that your opinion is shared by many, which is what makes them so cheap.
People like to have the latest and greatest, which means I can pick up the bargains. I don't believe recordings have really got better sounding in the last 60 years, just different.

Some do have high demands when it comes to energy, some don't (my desk was from an O.B. truck that was designed to be powered entirely from two 13 amp sockets). Replacement power supplies are available which can considerably improve the situation.
Switches and pots don't have a "shelf life" really, they wear out, like tyres on a car. Would you sell your car because the tyres wore out?
My current console has broken down once in about 10 years of work in a professional environment, many less times than my computer has spat the dummy in that time, and I was still able to pull some channels and finish the session.

There certainly were engineers using gear from the 60's and 70's in the 80's.
A SSL 4000G was not something an small business could afford often so they would use what they could get. Just like now.

Motives for upgrading are not often based around the sound quality of a piece of equipment, new gear was/is bought in to; add features, attract clients with the latest gadgets, spend money that would otherwise go to the taxman, the list goes on....

If you don't need the latest and greatest you don't need to chase the upgrade cycle, pick and choose what you like.
If you like new stuff, have at it....
If you like vintage gear, it's all out there at mostly reasonable prices (of course there will always be some pieces that are hugely overpriced but on the whole used is cheaper) I try to buy equipment that will either hold it's value or appreciate.

The only way I can afford to have a studio full of top of the range equipment is to buy used, if properly maintained things don't sound worse as they get older.
You cant get a preamp that sounds "better" than the ones on my desk, just different and it was made in the 80's. Newer doesn't automatically mean better.

Anyway, keep buying the new stuff, someone has to so I can get the cast offs at a very reasonable price...... I hope none of this has changed your mind.
Maybe I shouldn't post this..... Move along, nothing to see here..... You're selling your old gear? Won't be worth much, I'll take it off your hands, it will just be a pain to get rid of....
A very legitimate rebuttal Alex.

I am concerned with the room first, microphone placement next and lastly committing sounds to DAW in as few channels as possible with proper levels in and out.

So I have nothing to sell you but experience.

And yes I worked in an all analog studio behind an LFAC for years.

Pat