View Single Post
Old 27th January 2020
Here for the gear

May I add something to explain why the Green glue works and why silicone for example doesn't. The principle is called constrained layered damping and applies in sandwich constructions like sheet/green_glue_compound/sheet. It is pretty well illustrated on https://www.ultrafonic.com.au/soundproofing

Even after long time the Green Glue compound retains very low elasticity, which makes it resistant to any movement (vibration) of the two sheets it is applied in between. Low elasticity means it will resist the movement in one direction, but then it will also resist the return movement in the opposite direction. On the contrary, the materials which become elastic (like silicone i.e.) would resist the movement in one direction, but then stimulate the return movement in the opposite direction, thus keeping the whole sandwich elastic, instead of dampening it.
So, every material which would keep very low elasticity in time is suitable for dampening. The materials which become highly elastic (silicone, polyurethane,...) or harden with time (bitumen based materials i. e.) are not suitable.