View Single Post
Old 9th January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottering View Post
Are you sure? Because Live works internally at 32-bit depth, so 24-bit and 16-bit are never "the same bit depth". Only 32-bit is the same as the sound playing in Live. Normalize has to be off too, for obvious reasons.

Also, Live doesn't clip internally at 0 dBFS (due to being all 32-bit), but the 24-bit and 16-bit export formats do Clip (at 0 dBFS).

(What people hear when cranking audio over 0 dBFS is the DAC converter clipping, outside Live itself)

Resampling, Freeze and Flatten save 32-bit files.

I suspect that's why people get different results, they have tracks or master over 0 dBFS, export in 24-bit or 16-bit format (which will clip at 0 dBFS), then resort to Resampling (which is 32-bit and doesn't clip at 0 dBFS) thinking export has a problem. They could just export 32-bit instead.
While this certainly can be the cause of many people's issues with offline vs realtime, my problem had nothing to do with headroom. I had automation reading completely differently on offline bounces than with real-time recording. Just on the stock filter as well...sure I'm using a bunch of 3rd party plugs but the one I was actually having completely different bouncing results with was some automation on the Auto Filter plugin. It sounded one distinct way when offline bouncing, and another distinct way when real-time recording.

On your prompting I only just noticed that my session was at 44.1 and I was bouncing at 48k...I should try offline bounce at 44.1 and see if this is the cause. Usually I'm more precise than this but I'm working on a rough-and-ready mixtape, deliberately moving through the process as quickly as possible