View Single Post
Old 8th January 2020
Gear Head

This question is unanswerable.

First off, shootouts tell you almost nothing - move an inch away from the capsule and the proximity effect changes alone make it impossible to have a causal difference. Is harshness a result of mic placement or the capsule? point a U47 at your nose, dead on to your mouth and at your chin from 8-12" away - it sounds very different. Now move 24" back... It is exceedingly difficult to determine differences between capsules like this, and especially over the internet.

Next, all of the other variables - the room, the singer, the instruments, the preamp, etc. Are the capsules in the same circuits?

The big difference to me between quality capsules and the cheap ones is the off axis response, sibilance control and smoothness.

The neumann K49 is $900, if you have that to spend, buy it.

Then you have the core group of builders - Thiersch, Beesneez, Heizerman, Poctop, Campbell, Maiku.

Then you have the chinese but with QC - Microphone parts, Peluso, etc.

From building a bunch of different clones and trying different capsules, my experience is that all of them make a quality product. I am personally very happy with my beesneez and Maiku capsules, and looking forward to trying my Poctop M7 hopefully in the next few days. Built a great 251 with a beesneez CK12, and would like to use one of Campbell's someday.

The chinese neumann-like capsules (47 and 67 clones) are clearly inferior in the same mic. They do not handle transients as well, the off axis sounds funky and they have a harshness to them. This extends to both the QC'ed examples and the $50 ebay ones.

Maiku is really impressive, especially if you're buying a few. Head to head with a Beesneez K47 clone, the Maiku K47 sounded similar, very much in the same league. I liked things about both of those.

When I started diy cloning these mics, I searched hard for data to pick the "best" clone parts, but really it just comes down to picking something, and realizing you may have to change some parts later if it doesn't work out. Certain builders do push them in a certain way, for example Maiku purposely tunes their capsules a bit dark to make them smooth. The stock roll off capacitor in a U87 needs to be higher with one of these capsules to give the mic a flat response. However, they are smooth. Some of the other builders push the brightness to a degree, and this can be offset or highlighted with transformer choice or changes to the circuit.

This is why it's DIY though, you've got to figure it out and everyone thinks about these things differently. If you don't want to spend the time and effort to tweak and adjust, then save up and buy a $10K original! For me, I would rather spend a few years learning and building a mic closet than get 1 mic - not that I could afford an original.