View Single Post
Old 8th January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
It's all good.
It should be about the music, and no listener cares if it was easier or harder to create. What is more important is continuing to innovate.
So I regularly spend time creating my own sounds in modular for my music, but if I just need to add a background texture or pad I'll happily use a preset from a hardwired synth or soft synth.
What I think is boring (although not wrong), is making music using all pre-made loops, sounds and patches.
But my music is a combination of pre-made components supporting original sounds and parts made from the ground up.
That's something that took me a while to come to terms with: If it was really about JUST the music for me, I'd do like the cool kids do and grab a guitar, a laptop, and a small pool of softsynths/samples to put together songs. I've been listening to older music I used to enjoy, and I fantasize about making some quick and dirty hooky pop doodlebug, but that's not what I really want to do. I enjoy what I do now and get a kick out of the odd tune I pull out of my studio here and there, but I've come to grips with the fact that I'm really more of a synth nerd than an actual musician at this point. The real musicians are guys like you that are actually actively making music the focalpoint of their work, regardless of the tools you use.