View Single Post
Old 4th January 2020
Lives for gear

Let me get this straight: I am absolutely not opposed to iso cabs. I lusted after a Demeter/Randall one for quite a while, but wanted more flexibility (it was only 1x12 and getting in two mics would've been problematic already), so I built my own. Which was great but wouldn't have worked in my appartment at all due to the size, so I had to place it in my "music refuge" (that, fwiw the landlord unfortunately claimed back for personal usage around 1.5 years ago, but 2020 will be the year to find a new one), which was kind of a contradiction because volume was no issue there.

Anyhow, these days, if you really feel like having to record a real amp (which I could perfectly understand, I might even do that later this year myself, even if it was just because I can) at bedroom levels, I think a reactive load and IRs (or one of the boxes combining them, such as the Suhr one, the UAD Ox, the Boss Waza Tube amp Expander, the various Two Notes offerings, etc.) are the way to go. Without much options to fool around with multiple mics and positions, an iso cab IMO will quickly become a very limited solution - and even if you manage to finetune that one sound you can get out of it, I would almost take a bet that even some hard core purists would have a tough time to tell whether it's the real deal or an IR of the same cab/mic captured.