View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2020
Here for the gear

[FIXED] HDX NOT COMPATIBLE WITH 2019 Mac PRO!

(NOTE THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED-although Avid has not released an official statement about their support of the 2019 Mac Pro, since their statement of it not being supported, I can confirm it is working for me. The included 6pin ancillary power chord from avid does fit into PCIe power outlet for slots 5&6 @75w (more on this below). I have it installed in slot 5 ((even though it’s a 16x)) and have slots 6&7 fitted with my two UAD Octo cards. After instal I had to update the firmware of the HDX card and then reboot. I also hit a snag with my Pro Tools Ultimate Upgrade, however, the awesome tech team over at Sweetwater was able to get Avid to get me a 30 day rental license on my iLok until Avid resolved their “My Avid Account“ issue. They have since issued me the right license and all is well!!! Thank you to all the posters who tried to help. The included Avid 6pin ancillary power cable does not easily fit into the new Mac Pro outlet, unlike the way it effortlessly plugged into my 2012 cheese grater, I was about to break the dam outlet off the motherboard trying to get it in, and don’t bother to wait for a click, it’s never coming. To get it out use a small flathead, and make sure as you muscle it out not to pierce the cooling system for the core right above it. My advise would be to go with Apple’s approved Belkin PCIe cable package until Avid updates these cables. I still have no idea where to put additional HDX cards, as the rest of the slots are 8 pin 300w connectors. Guess time will tell!!!)

Original Post:
So we just got our first new Mac Pro 2019 and a new Avid HDX card for it at the studio. After trying to communicate with Avid and Mac, and a ton of other vendors, it turns out this is the reality right now:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/c...m-Requirements

We can't even believe this is the case, after spending a ton of resources on the new Mac Pro it's sitting in a corner as we have to use a 2012 Cheesegrater to keep working.

Is anyone getting the HDX to work in the new 2019 Mac Pro Tower?

PCIe 1&2, 3&4 are 16x lane with 8 pin connectors for 300w ancillary power supply.

Slots 5&6 are 6 pin ancillary power @75w. Slot 5 is 16x lane, slot 5 is 8x lane. Don't know about putting UAD Octo cards in the rest either.

We can't even get through to UAD and Avid is like trying to talk to the federal government. Customer service is sinking like a stone with these companies when it comes to getting a real tech on the phone. So bad. Please LMK if anyone has any luck, Thanks!

Last edited by PROVIDENCE MUSIC; 10th January 2020 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: Resolved