View Single Post
Old 28th December 2019
Here for the gear

Gibson Maestro Fuzz-Tone stopped working after 50 years

Any ideas on how to get my Gibson Maestro Fuzz-Tone working again?

When I was about ten my Mom found a classified ad in the Washington Post newspaper for a used guitar amp and "fuzz box." We had little money but she always encouraged my brothers and me to follow our passion(s). So she drove me to the next county and paid a "suburban teenager" $50 or maybe $75 for the Sears Silvertone tube amplifier, tremolo footswitch and Gibson Maestro Fuzz-Tone pedal featured in the images below.

While raising a family I had to set music aside for a few decades, so all three items have been in storage for a long time. I "rediscovered" them recently and was very excited to try them out. Called my Mom to thank her, too.

1. The amp works like it always has.
2. The tremolo footswitch makes a loud crunch/clunk when switching tremolo in and out.
3. The Gibson Maestro Fuzz-Tone is not working. Ugh. When I depress the footswitch to take the Fuzz-Tone OUT, the guitar plays through the amp as it should. When I switch the Fuzz-Tone IN via footswitch there's NO SOUND at the amp.

I cleaned the battery terminals and swapped various AA batteries in and out. No dice. Any guidance/advice on how to get this heirloom working again would be much appreciated.

Tom

See pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
Gibson Maestro FuzzTone stopped working after 50 years-mom-kit_1160274.jpg   Gibson Maestro FuzzTone stopped working after 50 years-fuzz1_1160276.jpg   Gibson Maestro FuzzTone stopped working after 50 years-fuzz2-dials_1160279.jpg   Gibson Maestro FuzzTone stopped working after 50 years-fuzz3-swtch-face_1160281.jpg   Gibson Maestro FuzzTone stopped working after 50 years-fuzz4-peace_1160282.jpg  

Gibson Maestro FuzzTone stopped working after 50 years-guts_1160283-1160284.jpg