View Single Post
Old 25th December 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
You don't share your setup. I can only guess.
I must assume that you with "each send" mean the returns? Inside a drum rack or? You must have made a mistake as if you're sending to the returns it doesn't matter where the signal goes, once wet it should remain wet. Likely you're not routing what you think you are.

In a drum buss you're affecting the sum of "the different elements " not each element.

I don't understand what you want with a "different buss," but you can use any number of busses. You do need to route them properly. Maybe something like the below?

Here's one routing example that might fit you (or not). Please note the details such as the disabling of the send back to the return that is feeding it (or you risk getting phasing issues as well as adding latency for no good reason):

With this routing the drum rack track and the return goes to the "drum buss" track. The sends from the rack goes out to the return instead of the rack output. It doesn't matter where you place the effect for this to work, but if you place it in the return track also other tracks can send to it.
Hey there, thanks a lot for your reply.

Sorry if I'm not using the right words, I don't get a chance to speak about routings and such very often. By "each send" I meant the returns, yes.

As I'm mixing some stuff that came from another DAW, I have a lot of mixeddown audio tracks and little to no midi, so I'm not using a drum rack.

So I'm sending signal to the returns, but I would like that signal, after being processed by the returns, to come back to the drum buss for some good ol' buss compression that includes the reverbs and delays. Is this more clear? My buss isn't sending anything to the returns, but the different audiotracks that are grouped in the buss are.

I hadn't turned the new "return buss" to "monitor in", that's why the wet sound of the returns disappeared when I set the audio of each return to the "new buss return" track. Now it seems to be working, although I'm not sure if this is the optimal way of doing it.

Here's a screenshot of my setup. Hope this helps. Please note that there are a couple of return tracks that are not being used and that I'll probably wipe off or use for something else once I'm done with drum processing.

I didn't quite get what you meant by the phasing issues. Would you mind explaining a little more?