View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infa View Post
So IE, in a 44.1k recording session, there are only 44.1 thousand pictures of the audio taken per second, and due to it being a resolution, there are therefore only 44.1k *places* per second these recordings can start and/or stop. Lets think about this down to the billionth of a nano second. If I were to press record or stop at a specific time that these 44.1 thousand pictures were between their resolution limits, would it not need to either start or stop me rounding off to the next nearest sample ? Because I initiated something between the grid lines (in a sense). This is a question, NOT a statement.

(this is about starting and stopping the recordings, not ONCE you started recording btw)
The sampling circuit itself doesn't operate at a rate of 44.1kHz though, it's usually in the MHz range. It then gets converted down to whatever sample rate you choose.

I suppose we could hypothesize a system where that wasn't the case and instead it did operate at 44.1kHz, in which case the question would be if you - along with everything mechanical that's involved (keyboard etc) - is capable of executing something at that timing resolution in the first place. I'm 100% you're not. Think about it;

- Suppose we set up a computer to play back audio at a 44.1kHz sample rate, and then we've recorded a click track at say 60bpm or so, and the converter operates at 44.1kHz in this hypothetical example, but we're not recording music or sound as the input, we're recording key presses on a keyboard. Do you really think you would be hitting the key with sample accuracy? If you did you'd be an absolutely astoundingly amazing musician. I bet you that's not what would happen.

And so based on that thought experiment I really think we can conclude that the timing resolution as far as triggering record is concerned is sufficient because you can't execute with any greater resolution anyway.