View Single Post
Old 18th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
The materials may be affordable (depending on where one lives) but then there is time and labor. If you've got experience, then it's probably a-ok. For me, I'd be up s**t creek with out a paddle or map. Translation - I've never done this type of construction/handy work. I would definitely go with 703 or rock wool if I did this. But, wouldn't new studs need to be built for a second wall? Or, are you just talking about adding a sheet of drywall to each wall in a closet? If insulation is involved, I assumed there would need to be a second wall. And if I had to put studs up in the one closet I have in my home (buillt 1938), there is no more closet. It's not very spacious. I'll take a pic tonight.

Wouldn't the floors and ceiling need to be floated to prevent sound transmitting above and below? I mean if we are talking about a closet in an apartment, then having neighbors above and below is almost certain unless you live on ground level or top most floor.

I really don't know what would be needed as my experience is only with acoustic panels and not actual sound proofing.

Don't misunderstand me. I think an isolation booth/box is certainly a real suggestion. I personally just think it isn't the most practical or cost effective. To each their own. YMMV
I am indeed talking about simply adding one or two additional layers of drywall to the closet. No double wall. Maybe a layer of green glue.

Attenuation is achieved via the mass of the drywall and nothing else. (I'd also probably want to swap out the door for a solid door instead of the usual chintzy hollow doors usually used for closets.)

That should be adequate for any small to medium sized amp in most situations.

Another thing that would help is isolating the amp/cab from the floor with something like Auralex Platfoam. Auralex also makes a couple of various isolation platforms for this purpose. Doing that will reduce the low frequencies from traveling through the structure of the building.