View Single Post
Old 14th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1Greg View Post
Dat DRUM !!!!

This is the only song a guy named Mikkel Eriksen mixed on her album (the rest were mixed by actual professionals).

How the hell did this get a pass? How the hell the mastering let it slip through? Did someone actually like it?

I re-processed the track with EQ (for personal taste), took almost 20dB of reduction to tame that stupid drum. Someone had a 160Hz null in their mixing room or something.
It's that one weird synth drum that's really loud and sounds like ass. It's overly resonant, and even worse the pitch is very unstable. I'm sure they loved it because they were like, "tHe PiTcH dRiFtS! sO aNaLoG, mAn!" but in reality besides it sounding like ass, it seems to drift between F# and G but mostly lands in the crack. Sometimes it goes flat as well but not as much as sharp. Drives my ears crazy because it's just out of tune with the track, and just flat out of tune period, and stupid loud.

I don't think people with ears mix stuff like this though so I can see why it sneaks past. I can see the mix happening in my head...This is just a dude with some friends over and they high five each other every time that out of tune, super loud synth drum hits and one dude is just silent in the background nodding his head, "yaaaaassssssssss" the whole time.