View Single Post
Old 11th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rose View Post
Obviously punch in/out and "write automation to end" do exactly what they promise, and the combination can be very powerful.

But have also tried editing the automation data in Nuendo's Project Browser? Everything is nicely laid out, first by track, then by function within that track (plug-in or built-in), then in a nice timecode list. You can copy/paste/delete freely while there.
Not for my logic. In post (and in music) I like to be able to work in an unautomated session until I like my settings. Lets say that's my rough mix. Let's say it is only one song to make it simple. In every automation system that I know (Harrison, Neve Flying Fader, Protools, ) if I go to Bar 20, set the automation system to on (engage read/write for all tracks) and I punch in automation, whatever was before that punch will be as it was. In Nuendo for that you have to set the initial values. That's all fine and not a problem, but I would prefer if I would understand if any mixer would not set that initial parameter. I don't see a logic that you might ever want to punch in automation at a given time (be it post or music) and you would not want all the values before that punch to be unaffected.

"Trim to Loop, Start, end do exactly what they promise":
Trim to Loop yes. Trim to start / end: Well sort of. In Post, at least that is how I work: If I engage an automation loop I prefer if that would work for everything, also write to start and write to end, in most cases it would make more sense if it would then write to Loops' End, not the end of the project. That's how it is in ProTools. If you want to write to the projects end by pressing the "write to end" you still could take the loop out.

Let me make a concrete example: I have 5 Scoring Cues in one session. All are near finish, all are completely automated, all are nearly good to bounce the stems. In Cue 3 we want to ride the Orchestra dynamically once more. It needs some moving faders in the first few bars, after that I want to leave my level constant to the end of the cue, but with an offset of 2 dB. In ProTools you would engage the Automation Boundary Loop. You would start to make your fader moves for the beginning and then press "write to end after stop" and the end value you will have it to the end of that Cue. that feature is kind of important for me, but I can live without it. Easy in ProTools, easy with Flying Faders, Easy with Harrison Automation. Or do I miss something and it can be done in Nuendo?

What is also funny: One of the most important Automation Modes that you had in Flying Faders already in the 80thies, but it is not there in any DAW: A combined Latch and Trim mode. What it does: If you press the fader it overrides the current automation, but if you release the fader it won't override, but trim it with the offset level you had when you released the fader. If you touch it again it continuous to override and so on. If then you press "write to end" (which flying fader Automation does always if you stop) then it would again trim until to the end, but not overwrite. All old mixers that used Flying Faders (or I believe also Harrison had that) know what I am talking about. That was the most useful automation mode, but it never made it into a DAW.

"But have also tried editing the automation data in Nuendo's Project Browser? Everything is nicely laid out, first by track, then by function within that track (plug-in or built-in), then in a nice timecode list. You can copy/paste/delete freely while there":

I will try that. At first it seemed like I just have so much automation tracks, and on a session with over 100 tracks it was not really inviting me to do any edits. But here again, I am oldschool, I don't want to edit automation. I want to work with faders and have a logic that I can follow.

In Nuendo what I do to copy automation to different cues is, that I work with Preview. It then saves my Preview punches automatically. If I go back to a punch it copies that old punch again into the preview and I can just punch it where I want. That seems to be great and more easy than how that would work with the Snappshot Function in ProTools.

Long Story short: Not using Virgin Territory, Set initial Automation Values after my basic sound for the enrire Project is ok, and working with Preview etc. it seems that that works fine. So back to more testing.

D.

Last edited by idee und klang; 11th December 2019 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: spelling