View Single Post
Old 10th December 2019
Here for the gear

Not trying to convince you, but I have to clear up a couple things, be aware that this is all my opinion, others may think differently.

I personally don't see the massive midrange peak you're talking about, they may be 2db over reference around 1k, but that's really irrelevant since most of the others are way worse anyway (leaving out reference monitors in most rooms which are probably even worse).
They can be worn over the ear, I do that all the time, actually that's the only way in which I wear them.
Lastly, given how much they isolate, I honestly don't know how they could not be able to withstand any kind of sane - even if loud - outside volume level. I basically play 1 meter from a loud drummer and I keep the volume so low it's crazy; I don't get the hype around multi driver iems, and I see them as mostly a scam.
Also, if you can't get enough volume with etys, you are probably already destroying your hearing, pay attention to that.

It also seems to me that you are only evaluating frequency response as a term of comparison between iems. To me that's the most important indicator, but others can tell a lot as well: I'm talking about impulse response graphs (in which the etys excel) and the square wave graphs. If you learn how to read the latter especially it can tell a lot about how a pair of iems will sound. I mostly trust innerfidelity's graphs for this kind of stuff, and I would recommend you check out their guide on reading all the graphs they provide, it's worth it (that would also show you why the shure 846 are pretty bad).

Ps. I've been thinking about the "midrange boost" you've been talking about. Maybe you are being deceived by the "uncompensated" graphs you can find online. Headphone measurements in general (those done with artificial ears) are actually meant to have that giant 3khz boost, it's directly related to the fake ear resonances; those graphs are hard to read, and that's why you have to find a compensated one (like inner fidelity ones). You can't compare compensated to uncompensated graphs, and even compensated graphs from different websites, since there are different theories behind how one should interpret the graphs.

I think this is all explained in those guides I was talking about