View Single Post
Old 5th December 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I'm totally aware of 'lo-fi hip hop'.
Most modern music is about very skilled sound design, very skilled arrangement, and very skilled arrangement choices. Your uber simplistic 'lo-fi hip hop' would be fine if it had an incredible vocal performance with killer lyrics. as it is, it just has a bog standard drum beat (and sounds) and a simple and standard chord sequence played on the first beat of every bar by a bog standard piano sound.

You are chasing the wrong skill set by stressing over the minutiae of the drum sound. You need to skill yourself up on killer songwriting, arranging and sound design. Watch a bunch of online video tutorials on 'Lo-Fi Hip Hop'.
It's NOT at all about 'super technical and advanced'. The more stripped back and simple your hip hop is, the MORE it has to have engaging parts and interesting sounds.
Made a new song that has an old school hip hop boom bap kinda vibe. I think I did more with the arrangement on this one. I'd love to know what you guys think, though. Should I add more to it arrangement-wise or do you think this one is better? Any input is really appreciated.
Attached Files

Don't Worry (Master).mp3 (4.63 MB, 190 views)