View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtroost View Post
Check it out: announced at AWS reinvent this week.

https://aws.amazon.com/deepcomposer/faq/

It includes a MIDI keyboard and cloud service.

Will me interesting to see what it actually does....

Sarah Connor?
Pretty cool, but I'm also skeptical that music will turn out to be a great application for AI. I say that mostly because I would argue that good music is a result of good taste, and not necessarily a result of understanding music theory.

I'm sure there will eventually be neural networks that produce great music, but is that really what people are going to want? I certainly don't know, but I think music is an essential part of the human experience, and I'd like to think it's the humanity that connects artists/composers and listeners, just as much, if not more than the music itself.

I also think AI in music brings up a lot of legal questions. General Adversarial Networks (GANS) are one thing since they can potentially be trained without using existing works, but any convolution or recurrent neural network would have to be trained on existing works. This begs the question, if a network is trained on said works, who owns the output of the network? I would argue the original composer should own at least some of it, since the process by which the network is learning and generating ideas is very similar to sampling or interpolation.

That said I think GANS will be very useful for things like playing chords and then the network will add in a melody in real time, as opposed to generating entire pieces.