View Single Post
Old 30th November 2019
Gear Nut
Review Notes

My thoughts on the trial version

Done - Tested.. A really great mastering grade EQ, that is difficult to make sound bad on any material, pretty good sound quality, reminds me of the 1st time I tried out Acustica Nebula version 3. It clearly embodies the tone of analog, not unpleasantly harsh, no matter what you do. Reminds me the most of a Manley Massive Passive...Mastering Edition....

It is probably the most immediately effective EQ I have ever used, very easy to arrive at the result you need, i.e tweak in the direction of where you want the sound to go. Leaves a certain crispy sheen on everything., definitely has its own sonic signature...

Only three things I really do not like, I'm using Reaper and tried out teh 64 bit VST version on Windows 10

1. Every little change of settings results in an audio glitch, unpleasant to hear these. This alone made it difficult to use. Extremely unusual. I do not recall this behaviour in any other Acustica plugins, at least not to the extent in Pensado EQ.

2. Strange audio glitches during normal audio processing, even when you are not changing settings, and its not my computer - which sits at no more than 20% CPU utilisation and no more than 30% Real time CPU Utilisation...

3. Expensive. , for some...

Not likely to use this on channels during normal mixing cos the glitches are absolutely horrendous and irritating, and unnecessary....

May wait until the mix is finished to try it out again and add some mojo to the master buss....

I like the sound, seems pretty SSL derived and clean rather than Neve sounding.

Definitely an expensive sounding EQ... Pity about the audio glitching

When I read the manual, something very strange - it states than Xeon CPU's are not recommended.

Pretty strange, I use a xeon e3-1245 v3. could this be a reason why the plugin is acting weirdly, on my PC.

Unfortunately the manual does not qualify the reason for not recommending Xeon's.