View Single Post
Old 18th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
When I said I agreed to disagree it was regarding your statement "Vocal requirements are pretty much the same across every genre." I disagree and doubly so when we're talking rap, because that isn't singing, that's talking. If you don't think there's a difference in recording talking and singing, there's probably little point discussing further. And since it appears people are getting in a huff about this, further discussion is probably pointless anyway. Again, agree to disagree. Moving on...
You've clearly never recorded either much rap, or for that matter many voiceovers if you feel acoustics don't matter!

Sadly, I've had to record and mix many VOs for things like adverts, documentaries. I can tell you that there's a massive difference between attempting to mix a VO recorded in an untreated or poorly treated space, and one recorded properly. With the former, you end up using all manner of multiband compression and dynamic EQ, not to mention attempting to quell unwanted room sound, just to get something usable.

The proper recording requires none of that.

Likewise with rapping - a boomy recording is still difficult to mix, a decent recording isn't.

It's also not "talking"! Dynamics, flow, pitch, all very different - it's much more like recording a singer than it is a VO artist, especially when you consider the line between rap and singing is very blurred these days - some rappers half sing, some are almost screaming, some singers are rapping...think about Antony Kiedis from the Chilli Peppers, he's very much rapping in places in their songs....does that sound like a VO to you?

Even the Soundcloud "mumble rap" is more musical than a VO.

It doesn't sound like you have much respect or understanding of the genre (even "the genre" is a misnomer since there's a massive scope of what one might consider "rap", from people who are close to street poets to those rapping over metal guitars). No-one's expecting you to be a fan, but as an engineer or producer you should respect there's good and bad in any genre.

Maybe for very quiet rappers, you might have a point - Snoop Dogg style or something, where it's laid back and not particularly energetic - the room might be less important, if you're not energising it that much. But that's quite specific!