View Single Post
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorlizard View Post
Did not know there was such a thing as a stud finder! Just to be clear, in this context a "stud" refers to a wooden beam, right (i.e. not a metal stud like on a jacket?)

OK, this method sounds far surer than just tapping the ceiling, I'll see if I can find a cheap one. And yes, if I can locate some solid wooden beams, I'd have no problem putting in a few closed hooks.
A stud finder has a magnet on a swivel and when the magnet crosses over the Sheetrock screw/nail to mount the Sheetrock to the stud it swings to an upright position. There are also electronic versions. It’s up to you to find the direction the stud is running. That can usually be done by knocking on the Sheetrock or finding another screw/nail and connecting the dots. The studs should be either 16” or 24” on center in the US. This will help you find the next one over.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Best hooks/plugs for hanging bass traps from plasterboard ceiling-a25362b5-bf7b-4845-ade8-513be2070c4f.jpg   Best hooks/plugs for hanging bass traps from plasterboard ceiling-a79fcc0a-0fc4-4104-b039-d2e7bf8e6ade.jpg