View Single Post
Old 11th November 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie F View Post
Normally when I plug in my guitar into the interface I only hear the sound if I have selected a track, & hit the arm button, and the send button, now for some reason when I plug in, I get to hear the guitar with out arming or selecting a track, and can even record, what have I done to cause this? and how do I stop this? I am using Studio one Artist version 4
I don't know your interface, but many interfaces have a cue-monitoring app. This will give the performer the lowest-latency foldback from the microphone back the the headphones without going "through" the DAW. Typically you use this during tracking and you mute the DAW tracks that are recording so you don't get that 'echo' effect.

Check to see if your interface has such an app and if it is engaged. It usually looks like a little mixer, similar to the mix window of your DAW. When you do finally arm the track, are you hearing an echo? That would indicate a second 'version' of the microphone is getting to the cans. The early one being the interface and the late one being the DAW round-trip.

Other interfaces have a hardware dial. In one direction, you are monitoring the mic on input and in the other direction you hear the DAW. You can hear the mic even if the track is not armed, and this is good. In such a case, you would probably leave the dial somewhere in the middle for tracking. And again mute the DAW channels for the mics you are recording, so you don't hear them twice. Then unmute them for playback.

Quote:
and how do I stop this
If "this" is indeed a cue monitoring app, you should not want to "stop" it. But you should learn how to use it.