View Single Post
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
I can see that, yeah. One reason to track with it would be if you only have a single unit, and you want to use that unit on other stuff in the mix. So, if you've experimented and found your path, cool. I always compress bass, clean guitar, vocals and some other things on the way in; just never drums because it's too volatile, and dependent upon the specific song arrangement and where the final mix ends up.

There was a suggestion above to get the plugs. I agree. There is a slight difference (I have LA2A's and 1176 rack units, and I've used the plugs quite a bit also), but the control you get by applying these in mix far, far outweighs the downsides of plug vs rack. Plug does not add the slight thickening effect, but you can track through the unit at 1:1 ratio for this benefit. Then use the plug to do the compression/limiting duties in the mix, dialing it in just right.
Yeah, also time saving. If I have to send a bunch of tracks out to various gear so many times, it would be a huge hassle in comparison to at least doing a bit of it in tracking then less of it in the mix.

That "hybrid" sort of approach also makes sense too, yes. I will be using a combo of hardware and software anyway. I mean things like surgical EQ, some gating or automation and limiting, etc., I was going to do with plugins. I have hardware for compression, eq, reverb and some post processing (SSL Fusion), but I need to also balance costs and space so I do have kinda a hybrid setup figured out already.