View Single Post
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post
I'm not sure where to post this thread. I recently discovered the degree of hearing loss that I have. This something I was already coping with and for other reasons I recorded the frequency sweep test tones off the Ultimate Test record.

I spent some time messing around with it and discovered I hear good up to 3500Hz and at a low volume after 3500 I can't really hear a thing test tone wise. If I crank it up I can hear up to 14K. There is a dip between 3500 and 5500 then a little better 5500 to 6500. I hear a little less 6500-9500 then a touch better 9500-14K.

So messing around in RX6 advanced, first with the test tone file I came up with those numbers through a trial and error process I got it figured out that by raising and lowering bands of frequencies on a finished file it sounded pretty good and I could pick up on the instruments I have been hearing less of and seemed to have just gotten used to.

So it went like this with the file in the spectral view I highlighted each band of frequencies on the entire file (24/96 needledrop)
0-3500 -2 gain
3500-5500 +5 gain
5500-6500 +3 gain
6500-9500 +1 gain
9500-48K +3 gain

I then check and if I need to re normalize to fix any new clips. Saving to it's own file. The few I did sounded much better than attempts with multiple EQ filters.

The reason I posted it here I want to figure out if possible how to set up some kind of a plug-in chain that will apply something similar to the headphone and main outputs but the file remains flat. May be to much for me to figure out on my own. Surely if must be possible and with all of us old guys a demand for something like this.
not sure whether you're taking the right conclusions/your 'test' isn't flawed:

first of all, you need to make sure your speaker system measures flat! it can only do so if your room is treated very well. simple prove via measurement/analysis software...

then, you need to listen within an optimum spl range which is considered to be around 85dBa for most folks, see fletcher-munson and countless other and many newer studies...

also, you need to be fit, do several tests over a period of a few weeks and average results - only then you might get some hints at potential hearing loss...

LISTENING and COMPARING is the key to judge sound, more sensible than using dsp correct to compensate for slightly reduced hearing capacity - nothing bad with using dsp on monitoring chain though: i use it in all my rooms and sometimes to compensate for different spl levels...

[hearing will deteriorate over age anyhow.
i met al schmitt earlier this year: he's 89 and he clearly has hearing issues - which doesn't stop him from being a brilliant engineer!
or evelyn glennie: different case and much younger yet she doesn't make a big fuzz out of her reduced hearing capability - got to work with her and didn't found it to be difficult at all either.
or take countless other musicians/engineers...]