View Single Post
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

short piano only clip

okay.. it's been a while. today I had little spare time to come to studio, and few mic clamp has arrived from states, so I did little experiment by myself.

2 cardioid (cm4), 2 ribbon(LRM-2) were used.

2 cardioid were mic'd middle of the sound board, one towards music stand, one towards low string. pretty closed to strings.

2 ribbons were attached curve side of piano by clamp, 15~20cm spaced.

Preamps are Apollo stock preamps.

I was able to get decent level (peak hitting -6 in DAW, usually -12 between -6).

and before I record myself, I went to drum set and played tom toms to see how much mics picking drum(This made me think, I have to find better way to mic and maybe turn piano little bit. I put each instrument as Steve suggested this time but not exactly, but I did my best. I didn't put Gobo infront of piano this time since I was doing little experiment by myself and running out of time.. so).

tom tom' were hitting -24 between -12 in daw. I'll experiment more next time with Gobo if I have a time...

anyway, I set up few sessions in late December, Guitar Trio, and Guitar + piano trio, Piano trio + Vocal. all of band members are students from university that I teach. pretty excited..

Ah, one more thing. I got Beyer M160 Steve! just one this time, but I'm thinking order one more pretty soon.. problem is I don't have enough time to call a drummer and set up a experiment session, unfortunately.. Nov and Decembers are pretty full.. but hopefully I don't lose my eager and energy to record live band
Attached Files

piano cardi close.mp3 (3.73 MB, 454 views)

piano ribbon close.mp3 (3.73 MB, 450 views)

piano together.mp3 (3.73 MB, 456 views)