thread: Pre the preamp!
View Single Post
Old 7th November 2019
Here for the gear

Pre the preamp!

Evening all,

I'm not exactly new but my baseline is very low...

I've just decided to update my setup after about 20 years of using Delta 1010s and am now massively behind the curve. I'm looking to get a new audio interface immediately having moved to Windows 10 and currently without, I made the mistake of buying a liquid saffire 56 only to find it won't work on later win 10 build so am now starting again.....

My question is - I use a SPL gold channel as my main pre-amp, can I just run the out of this into an audio interface that also has a preamp? I'd expect it to then get coloured by the 2nd pre? or is there a way to bypass the pre in modern audio interfaces (I've never used a unit that is both the preamp and AD-DA - forgive me!)

I want to get the most bang for buck, ideally be able to get two independent headphone mixes out somehow Ideally I only need 2 inputs as I record drums through midi (bfd3).

Grateful for your answers and recommendations on what to buy (budget £400-£500. I've read the top ten lists but if anything it's made me more confused - too many top tens and conflicting reviews!

thanks for everybody's time

Nicky