View Single Post
Old 7th November 2019
Here for the gear

Learning Curve Frustrations

Hey Guys and Gals,

I've been working on a "demo" that's evolved into 4 songs, an intro, and an interlude for over 5 years. The whole thing has been an extreme learning process and I've probably re-recorded it 10 times over. The songs are mostly edited sans vocals but I've been struggling with some mix and master tests. I just can't seem to get them to sound interesting and dynamic. They are also relatively quiet compared to reference mixes.
Currently I'm using SSD4 for the drums, podfarm for the bass tones, and Nameless suite for the guitars. I also invested in a Radial reamp box and sm57 but the reamping results have been a little so so. I'm using Reaper as my Daw and running Yamaha H5's through a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. I also have some JST plugins and play around mostly with Clip, Finality, and Transify. For mastering stuff I've been using the reaper provided plug ins as well as Drawmer S73.
I'm not shooting for perfection, I just don't want it to sound embarrassing! I've listened to tracks by people who are using similar gear/plugins as me and they sound way better than anything I've got to yet. Ive also contemplated sending them out but I really want to learn so I'd rather do it myself but feel like I've kinda hit a wall.
I added a clip from one of the songs, I'm def embarrassed about it at the moment so be kind! I'm also very green so I know I have a lot to learn, But any advice that could point me in the right direction would be very much appreciated.
Attached Files

gearslutz.wav (11.61 MB, 285 views)