View Single Post
Old 7th November 2019
Here for the gear

Really bizarre question on EQ'ing

This might be the most ridiculous question ever asked on this forum, but here goes. I work for a private detective, and my job is to bug cars. Literally, I install these S. Korean audio bugs about the size of D battery inside of a vehicle, and they have a battery life of around 3-5 months. They use an omni mic and are voice activated. At the end of the surveillance, I remove the bug and download the mp3 files it recorded. Sometimes it's weekly or monthly, other times that frigging thing will sit in there for months. The deal usually is, you know, cheating spouse, suspicion of drug use, usually marital BS. Anyhow, trial and error has led me to place the bugs (they have a magnet) on the metal passenger seat runner, due to the fact that most people are righties...so if a passenger drops something, it'll usually be on the right hand side and not the left side (hence the bug won't be felt by somebody reaching around for the pack of cigarettes or whatever they just dropped). The small omni mic points upwards from that position and records.
So after the bug is removed, I record the time stamp as the file name for each mp3, and quickly convert the file to .wav via Audacity, then import the .wav file into Reaper for cleanup. And this is where the fun starts. Different cars produce different amounts of just baseline wind noise, Subaru being by far the worst. Then in the spring and summer I'll get A/C noise, or in the winter I'll get the heater blowing at full blast. Or maybe a smoker who opens their window for 10 minutes every time they smoke a cigarette. Every once in a while I'll bug a car with a noisy trans or loud muffler, but that's usually no big deal compared to wind noise. Usually what I do is begin with one of Reaper's ReaEQ presets (maybe "Mud Free" for example), and work from there to try and tweak the wind noise to be as low as possible. It takes HOURS.
But my question is, is there any more scientific and professional way to approach trying to get wind or blower noise out of a single channel recording? It takes me LITERALLY HOURS. Not long ago a guy paid us to spy on his cheating wife, who had her phone Bluetoothed to her car stereo...so whomever she called would sound so ridiculously loud in the recording coming through the radio's speakers, but her own voice was barely audible no matter what I did. So i had a loud male voice and then a barely audible female voice that I'm supposed to turn into an audible conversation. Compression maybe? I'm at a loss here fellas...any ideas as to how I can EQ out wind noise from a single track panned at 12, recorded with a crap omnidirectional mic.

BTW changing the voice-activation sensitivity did nothing. This is going to have to be fully post-production here.

This is the most ridiculous question here ever for sure so feel free to make a joke or two (I joke about my job all of the time) but please, some helpful hints as well please?