View Single Post
Old 6th November 2019
Lives for gear

First, thank you both for the helpful responses...it's nice when people are just willing to inform and be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I'm wondering if you can't just set up for surround using regular Pro Tools as long as your panning is static and everything is pretty simple.. After all, you're not delivering interleaved files, just mono. Have you looked around in this section for anyone having done that?

I'd not put anything in the LFE for a doc unless really warranted btw.
Perfect! I have already been watching youtube vids on how to "fake" surround using PT Native. Looks doable...if I have to go that route. I'm guessing after all said and done...I'd just bounce one at a time mono files...? The setup looks a bit daunting...but I could do it if I need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Usually the biggest issue someone who has not been working in 5.1 etc has in taking their stereo mix to 5.1 isn't modification of the mix, it's the monitoring environment in which to do it. You can tough out using buses and auxes to make a non-HD project have 6 outputs, but do you have a setup, including the speakers and monitor controller to listen to it with? Part of all this is that in 5.1 calibrating the listening setup becomes much more important, right? The inter-speaker level relationships (at least) are kind of the main work you are doing in upmixing. BTW: upmix plugins can work very well, if you want to go that way. But you still need the 5.1 rig to hear what they are doing.
Great point, I was going to update my post about this but will just do it here. So, I'm not setup for surround mixing. I have enough speakers and the I/O to set it up if I had to...but it would be a lot of work for this one small project.

So...my idea was to use the Waves Abbey Road Studio 3 headphone plugin, which I've been doing all of my stereo mixes (music/broadcast/etc.) in for months...and really love it. It's a great tool, and translates well...and apparently it can do 5.1, but I have never tried and don't know how it would work...especially in Pro Tools Native...? Any thoughts on this would be awesome if anyone has tried it.

Secondly...upmixing plugins? I've heard of them, and started to look into them years ago...but what exactly does this do and which ones would you suggest for Pro Tools? Would I be able to spit out individual mono files for this, as well as interleaved/combined 5.1 files? Interested for sure in checking this out

On the other hand...I contacted the film festival myself...and they have already replied back that stereo files, while not preferred, will work just fine. But, I'd still like to get this figured out in case the client insists on 5.1 files.

Thanks!