Old 30th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
But you haven't heard it...?
No I have not.

Quote:
The HDIO is great quality - I've heard people prefer them to your Prisms!
I have heard this too. And even a step further, correct me if I am wrong, but I heard Avid got Prism to make the HDIO's. But I do not know if that is true.

Even if so, I will humbly say/think that I am not sure these people that preferred the HDIO were comparing to the ADA-8XR or not. Cause again, the newer Prism units are simply not all the way there. The XR was released in 2006 ! lol So.... any slightly more recent comparison to "Prisms" I'd have to bet are verses their newer units.

And as far as Prism making the new HDIO's for Avid, even if true, that doesn't always mean it will be as good. I'm sure you know the story with things like that.

Quote:
It's not about "low latency" per se with avid interfaces, it's about how the SYSTEM knows exactly how much latency the converter itself is adding and can compensate accurately. Much is made of the Lynx being matched to the Avid converters so it's a direct replacement; others don't.
Yea, totally right. Thats is what I meant too. But starting off with a lower latency in the first place always helps its own self make the delay compensation sound best/compute, whatever I am sure.
Quote:
The MTRX does indeed look amazing..but so many of it's features simply aren't needed in a recording studio. It looks more like a post/broadcast featured product, and probably a price to match!
Yea I'd only get it for the conversion quality and system response. I'm funny, I actually don't like or use features (like those) for the most part. My approach is entirely simple and basic. I never use Mic Pre's or any added fluff in converters. I got my own mic pre's for that.
Quote:
But that's the point - Avid won't tech support your system because it's not 100% compatible. For some, that's necessary. And yes the latency isn't an issue of course - it's just not 100% sample accurate.
Yea I could see that. I think some also don't know how to get creative when getting support. I have indeed used Avid for support, but the only thing I contact them for is actual DAW issue support not involving interfaces. They always help with that fine. Respond quickly, I've never been discriminated against due to my system.

Once PT App is working fine, then if you have a issue in your system's entirety, you know its the interfaces issue (or maybe computer) and you get support from your interface company, and they always help with that. Prism is excellent for that. Especially once you verify that you know for sure PT App is working properly.

Like I said, I never had a problem with support for my system. You just got to know which company to call and when. Never had a problem they didn't fix. Also, due to the fact that the ADA-8XR's directly hook up to PTHD, PTHDX, PTMix, Etc.. just like Avids converters do, they were indeed supported at one time FYI. I don't know if they still are though. Just like the AD/DA 16X's were supported too if you were running HD or Mix system with the HD/Mix modules installed in your converter.

Quote:
and that also makes sense in the main. Check out Backblaze if you've not got cloud storage already, very simple, easy to integrate with existing setups and it's very cheap!
Wow, thanks for the referral ! I never heard of them. Looks cool. If you buy the 2 year at a time package, that's basically $4.60 a month of unlimited backup !

Being in the cloud has its pluses and minus of course. Retrieve it anywhere ! Thats cool. Set up auto backing, etc.. The minus is, every so often, I'd still want to have a redundant copy of that physically somewhere, so ultimately I'm still dealing with that. And of course the trust issue, if someone hacks into their servers one day, etc..

But all in all, I'm 110% interested. Looking further into it. Do you use it ?