View Single Post
Old 30th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK1 View Post
This is a bit of a silent Waves bombshell..

Version 11 has deprecated all support for 32 bit executables, in Windows, and I guess same for Mac.

What is so sneaky is that Waves omitted to mention this, I only found out when going through my plugin list for version 11 in my DAW, and was wondering what happened.

Checked the version 11 specs and its there in black and white - 64 bit Windows, no mention of 32 bit Windows...

Most disingenuous - at least someone in Waves should have included such an important change in the Release notes.

It may not be significant to many users, but a few will be caught out and scratching their heads wondering - what happened to my Waves upgrade ?!!!!, not realising that V11 is a major change

No more 32 bit plugins from Waves.......

Typically only has an impact on anyone who still uses a 32 bit DAW....which is unable to load 64 bit plugins - like Reaper is able to.

4 months ago I was still using 32 bit DAW's and if this update had come early, I'd be scratching my head wondering what the F, had gone wrong.
Catalina will run 64bit apps only so it's not a surprise developers are dropping 32 bit support. I bet Windows will follow sometime down the road too. There's no point in keeping 32 bit around anymore.

As for V11 updates, I upgraded my main bundle during Black Friday sales last year and could get the V11 for free, as you get 1 year WUP when you buy or upgrade a plugin or bundle. I think it's quite fair from Waves to release V11 now because all the people who bought plugins during last BF are covered for the V11 upgrade. And you may even get some cool free plugins depending on what bundle you are.

Also, I still have 5 or 6 V9 plugins that are running perfectly fine with all the V11 stuff so there is no need to update everything you own if you don't absolutely need to.