View Single Post
Old 30th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbass View Post
What are you on about?
I'm just an idiot on the internet, mate. I'll explain my ignorance and situation following your question below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbass View Post
If you upgraded your wup 6 months ago, you can upgrade to 11 for free, no?
I spoke with support immediately after I upgraded and learned that contrary to my belief that I'd upgraded everything, it turned out that only the expired plugins were updated in the plan.

I apparently made an error somewhere by missing a checkbox / option / selection 'cause the Waves guy said I should have paid over $400 US or something when in fact I'd gone with the $240 US cap. I figured that seeing as everything had been updated to v10 I'd be "fine".

Of course, this is now biting me in the ass 'cause the plugs that've expired in the last several months now take my WUP-renewal fee back over the cap, so I'll have to fork out $240 US once again in order to bring them to v11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyJoe View Post
So you purchased v10 midway through this year? As in June/July? Because if so you'll get a free upgrade to v11.......
Thank you, Matty.

As I explain below, it turned out that my WUP upgrade only applied to non-expired plugs, so in the meantime a whole lot of 'em have now expired, requiring that I purchase the capped upgrade once again in order to go to v11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
If you just updated to V10 couple months ago, then you should have at least part of your plugin collection still covered by WUP. So for those you should get free update to 11.
Also after update of licenses to V11 you can still install and use V10 versions. At least that works for me with licenses at USB flash drive (as opposed to storing licenses at harddrive), when I move between computers. At one setup I've decided to don't go to V11, because V10 works good there and I'm using 32 bit plugins (which were deprecated in V11).

The other option, if current versions works good for you, could be to postpone V11 update, unless you have real reason for that. Maybe V10 won't work with Catalina, but I actually haven't tried that. In general I'd likely skip whole Catalina and consider another OS version say in two years. So far, as I've tried, it doesn't bring anything but issues and restrictions with forced app notarization. I'm more than fed up with yearly Mac OS update cycle, where for half of that period something is broken (either because of Apple, like screwed USB audio in Mojave.. or because of necessary updates and reworks from 3rd parties.. which doesn't matter at the end, because you simply can't update, if it's important for you).

Michal
Thank you, Michal.

Unfortunately, AFAIK my planned computer upgrade will mean that I will require v11 'cause it won't run a pre-Catalina OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK1 View Post
You are in the good light. As long as you still have an active WUP plan, which it seems you do (which is 1 year from the date of your most recent update), you are entitled to upgrade for free to the new version.

An active WUP plan is typically either :

12 month from the date when you 1st bought the plugin

or

12 months from the date when you most recently bought the WUP Plan covering one or more plugins.

So for you I think you have nothing to worry about, simply log into your Waves account, via the web site, and you will find a "get latest version" option, for the plugins for which you are eligible to do this. This update of your license to the new version, is free.
Thank you, OK1.

Quote:
I suggest you do this "free" "get latest version" action asap...
I immediately took your advice and most were updated. Yay.

Quote:
As you said, ideally this action should be automatic, but it does seem as if it is possible if you wait till after your WUP expires, that you may still be on your current version, and have to pay another WUP, to obtain what you could have obtained now for free...
Indeed, this is what has happened for a sufficient number of plugins to require that I fork out $240 US once again, less than 6 months after I'd brought them all to v10... ouch.

Quote:
I am ever so glad you raised the issue, cos it made me think, o oh, while I do have some older plugins, I thankfully have now sorted the few plugins which are still eligible for an update to the new version.
Thank God my ignorant rant yielded a positive outcome for someone, brother!

Quote:
Thanks for prompting action on my part.
The honour is all mine, mate.