View Single Post
Old 29th October 2019
Airwindows

To DeBess there's no such thing as a 'softer ess that is too sibilant'. It ONLY cares about taking out esses that are big volume jumps in the ultra-highs. Intense slider is 'turn it up until it engages enough', so you'd be wanting to crank it. Sharp is the window for how it calculates, and more is a longer window that will really isolate esses. Depth is how much ess is left, so you can turn the ess down to zero or leave some of it; Filter is lowpass filtering the esses instead of simply gating them so you can use it to retain audio when the ess is being ducked.

Again, there's no such thing as an 'ess that is too sibilant but not loud enough': there is no such thing as a nonsibilant S. It's all about whacking down the loud esses in such a way that it sounds like nothing was changed at all. I'm glad it's still working at 88.2k as that was one of my concerns… are you treble boosting at all? If you are, you should do that BEFORE DeBess and that will help it engage. I'm kind of trying to grapple with the concept of needing to isolate everything that is an ess without regard to level and alter them: I feel like DeBess is VERY much of the opinion that some esses (and zees, and effs etc) should not be touched and other ones are simply way too loud. It's the way too loud ones that concern me.

Again, if you're needing to affect all esses (what about thhhhs? fffffs?) to de-treble them, I'd need to know more about what you're cutting and what you're keeping. And if this is because you're brightening stuff, the obvious answer is that it should go after the brightening and that'll help it engage.