View Single Post
Old 19th October 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_slut007 View Post
Do you actually have this setup that you are talking about? Also, to be fair... he isn't out of place factually whatsoever and what he said is not that freaking crazy and can be approached quite simply from anyone willing to use a little brain power to approach it, like literally he covered alot but barely even broke the surface of the stuff for you to grant him such a title. Anyone can get it. I am not sure I am too familiar with the spring constant (although I assume he is talking to something to do with the tires being quite booyant and **** possibly producing ill effects and doing little to effect any sound) but resonant frequency is something to take very seriously. We do it all the time with out even noticing it. But basically what he is saying that light materials bad, heavy materials good. Porous materials not so good, dense materials probably better because the frequency at which they will resonate is lower. Everything in the world has a resonant frequency and when anything is exposed to it's resonant frequency it will experience certain phenomena mostly meaning it will start to produce excess vibrations itself thus defeating the properties of the noise cancellation for a given frequency band and harmonics and also exaggerating all sounds of a similar frequency in close proximity. An example of this is if your studio monitors resonant frequency is 33 hz (kinda low for a studio monitor to reproduce but more or less realistically feasible for a studio monitors resonant frequency) and that you are also making some music and decide to write a bass line using the C1 note (C1 note freq is 33hz and also that is for the most part an incredibly low note to being playing and not likely anyway), in theory the listener experiencing the sound would be exposed to a boosted representation of the bass line because the entire monitor itself would vibrate by nothing more than being exposed to it's resonant frequency and begin moving it's self (I say in theory because their are more variables at play here than just this stuff, IE amplifier and load etc). And so if you didn't know audible sound generally ranges from ~20hz ish i believe to some number around or above 20Khz (maybe higher say scientist) but also most studio monitors even in the 8 inch class struggle at producing bass frequencies at that level accurately so your bass is likely to be mute before it is to do this in a noticeable way unless you are applying an ungodly amount of EQ and as a result really driving your amps to push in the low end (probably slowly killing them)

Also I actually think this is a kinda sick idea for a jam room or something but I just need an incredibly small sound proof space for mixing and studio monitors that is as neutral as possible acoustically

Anyone please correct me if anything here is f'ed up beyond reconciliation I am doing my best...
I've seen floors suspended like this as a way to save money, not professionally but project artist studios. Brooklyn basement stuff. Stuart is the God of this field and if the Master Speaks, I being the fool on his journey, can only shut up and listen.

93 93/93