View Single Post
Old 19th October 2019
Gear Addict

Should I worry about "slightly" clipped supplied files?

This question is not particular to HMB, but I couldn't see a general section. (Admin please move if appropriate).

So, should I worry about "slightly" clipped supplied files?

I've got some supplied files and have realized that there are some tracks where there is minor clipping. The files were recorded that way and I can't do anything about it.

It's not bad, and I can't hear it. There's maybe around 10 "clipping" regions/areas over a 5 minute track. The clipped "transients" last for around 8 to 10 samples or so at 48kHz.

As I said, I can't hear it now, BUT I'm wondering if it could cause issues in the final mix. I use ITB for limit/compress etc. therefore, would these transient clips cause a software plugin to react differently?

If I manually edit the clipped regions in a destructive "wave editor" like Cool Edit Pro (now Adobe Audition), then that seems like a better way. I've done this already to one track, but it does take some time. A real PITA.

I probably could have already manually all edited those regions by now instead of posting this, but for future reference, is it really worth the bother?? What's the best way to deal with this issue?

Cheers.