View Single Post
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for all that.

As for Switches, the one that's caught my eye lately is the Joranalogue Switch 4. It does 4xIN to 1xOUT, and has a great simple physical switch (a knob, on a rotating 4 position switch) you can grab and easily route which IN goes to the OUT. (It has two of these rotating switches, actually, each with their own Out, and more).

So, for instance, let's say you typically currently do something like take your Triple Sloth's slowest OUT and feed that into your Vector Space's Middle IN, and let's just ignore for now what's plugged into the Vector Space's other two INs...doesn't matter.

Okay. So instead of that slowest OUT from the Triple Sloth going to the Middle IN of the Vector Space, instead plug that Sloth Out into the Switch's #1-IN , and the Switch's OUT into the Middle IN of the Vector Space.

Now you're just back to where you started, with the Switch inserted between the Sloth and Vector.

And *now* take as many as three *other* Mod Sources that you aren't already feeding into the Vector Space and feed those into INs 2-4 on the Switch, and now you can re-route what feeds that Middle IN (and thus totally change what comes out of the Vector Space's 17 OUTs) by simply twisting the rotating knob on the Switch...

And once you try a bunch of combos of Mod Sources to feed into the Vector via the Switch, and find out which changes work best in what sections of your music, then you have a powerful performance tool and a powerful tool for variety, at your literal fingertips in one simple rotating Switch.

All for ~$120 and 8hp.

There are loads of other Switches, some that work totally differently while still doing the same basic thing, like simple Doepfer Sequential Switches.

Best of luck, regardless.

See the two knobs up tops in the photo, and the single OUTs adjacent to each... either one of those Knob/Jack combos, and the Switch's 4xINs will get it done, and leave other unused features on the Switch to boot...

Switch-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post
First of all, I would say the Envelator and Ceis are my favourite EG’s. I haven’t heard them all of course, but I have some experience with many great and many not so great ones: JP8 (best non euro), JP6 (sluggish), SH-101 (almost as good as JP8), Doepfer Dark energy (terribly unmusical), Maths (mediocre not deep punch, more like papery, otherwise great and musical), Moog Source (clicky old digital but great), Neutron (mediocre), R*S DUSG (fantastic but difficult to dial).

Comparing the Envelator and Ceis is not so straightforward because one is more West coast and the other more East coast, although the Ceis can be very West coast too. Both are very musical. It’s great having both really.

The Envelator shines in pinging LPGs, it makes the punchiest Buchla Bongos. It’s much easier to dial than the DUSG. For lengthy envelopes it’s nothing special but still very good. It has great options but it’s not always so predictable, like modulating the A or D with cv often lead to unexpected results (maybe I still don’t understand it enough).

Ceis – as I recently posted in the Chit Chat – is probably the best EG I’ve had overall. It’s always sweet spot and very musical. It’s not the fastest however; if you want from A to fully open D to fully closed S, it is slower than say the SH-101. But it doesn’t matter because its still so musical. And fast enough to make deep and snappy bass pucks. It always sounds good when modulating the steps with cv especially with random. The lin/exp knob is wonderful for more surgical shaping. Because of the faders, it may be more difficult to tweak live than the Envelator. The lights in the faders are really useful.

I was so in love with my Envelator that I planned on getting another one. Now I think I will get another Ceis instead; can’t wait to chain them etc.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip on the Vector Space! Which module would you suggest for this? I find it complex enough e.g. when feeding a cross modulating Vulcan into one of the inputs and two Sloths to the other ones. Koma attenuator cables are often used. Some of my best moments have been when I have a very complex patch, all 17 outputs going somewhere and I start switching the outputs randomly, no longer having a clue what is going on in the patch. Lots of happy accidents!